SALPOST Head Office
The history of the Sierra Leone Postal Service started as far back as 1841 during the period of Jerome who established a village Post Office. The office of Postmaster of Packet Agent as the professional head of the Postal Services was instituted in 1843, an office held by a clerk of the Commonwealth Secretariat at a salary of Le50 per annum paid from the British Treasury. The post of full time Postmaster came into being in 1857 and Isaac Fitzjohn from Gloucester Village in the outskirt of Freetown was appointed to the position in 1858. The first General Post Office at Gloucester Street in Freetown was established in 1853.